Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Psalm 63

It never ceases to amaze me how sometimes a scripture can jump out at you and start to change your world. Of course scripture is life changing, if you live by it. If you don't then maybe you're life wont change, and just maybe you're living a godly life, however unlikely. So I've been chewing on Psalm 63 for some time because I believe God told me to read it.

Psalm 63

1 O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
2 So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.

3 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
4 Thus I will bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.

6 When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches.
7 Because You have been my help,
Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.
8 My soul follows close behind You;
Your right hand upholds me.

9 But those who seek my life, to destroy it,
Shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
10 They shall fall by the sword;
They shall be a portion for jackals.

11 But the king shall rejoice in God;
Everyone who swears by Him shall glory;
But the mouth of those who speak lies shall be stopped.

This declaration shouts loud and clear. This is the declaration we all need to make. Oh God, You are my God! I get up by 3 almost every morning. That's pretty early. Nice and quiet. Early will I seek You.When will we realize that our soul has a longing and nothing else we do, no matter how well or poorly we do it, will satisfy that longing? We find ourselves in "desert" areas of our life. A dry and thirsty land, where there is no water. So what did David do? He gave us the example in vs. 2. Get to Church! Why? To witness God's power and glory! Now this may mean different things to different people. For me, I know God moves in my church. It's there the "bon-fire" for our soul can be ignited. I go to church expecting to witness His power and His glory.

Verses 3-5 remind us that we may as well be dead than to live a life without God. Once God is truely in your life, you can't stop prasing him and this is something that causes a blessed chain reaction. We find our soul is full. Like after eating the best parts of a huge meal. Reminds me of the Thanksgiving feasts I used to take part of as a young child.

Verses 6-8 -- When we find we can't sleep, remember what God has done for us. Some would say don't count sheep, count your blessings. Rejoice in those times when God may have kept you from doing your will. God doesn't up hold us with His right hand by grabbing the front of our shirt as we tag along, but rather He wraps his arm around us and helps us to walk, carrying us as we become stronger following Him.

Verse 9 and 10 can be taken 2 ways as I see it. 1) That it is a prayer. One of those "God get them" moments. Or perhaps 2) It is a realization that God stands against those who stand against His people.  I'm not going to lie, both appeal to me. The battle belongs to the Lord.

Verse 11 closes this short song with another declaration, the king (little k) will rejoice in God, and those who love God will rejoice in the Glory of God. Those other people mentioned in verse 10 wont be able to say anything. Maybe they will be stunned. Maybe they will get saved. What happens when we rejoice in God's glory?  The Glory of God is redemption. Salvation and healing. And his power is revealed.

I praise you my Lord, oh my God. You never let go, thru the calm and thru the storm. How easily You bring me to my knees in repentance and thanksgiving. Thank you for loving me so, for being my father and my friend. Forgive my stubborness and help me to make right choices, in every area of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully explained. Beautifully responded to. Thank you for sharing this D.

    ReplyDelete